Damian Mole combines surgery with research. He has just been awarded a prestigious MRC Senior Clinical Fellowship to find out why people who’ve had acute pancreatitis have a shortened lifespan, even after they seem to have fully recovered. Here he tells us about the buzz of surgery, the importance of mentors and relaxing with his jazz band.
Career in brief:
- BMedSc in Cell and Molecular Pathology, University of Birmingham
- Medicine degree, University of Birmingham
- PhD on pancreatitis-associated organ failure, Queen’s University of Belfast
- Clinical Lecturer, Clinician Scientist Fellow, then Senior Lecturer and Consultant Surgeon, MRC Centre for Inflammation Research, University of Edinburgh
- MRC Senior Clinical Fellowship