Career in brief:
- Medical school at the University of Oxford
- Academic foundation doctor for two years at the Bristol Royal Infirmary
- Clinical Research Fellow at the Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute, Bermuda
- Research Fellow at the National Clinical Guideline Centre, London
- Academic Clinical Fellow and Speciality Training (currently year 4) in General Adult Psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital, London
Addiction is an area where you can offer genuinely holistic care to patients. Patients with addiction disorders are often marginalised by society and within the health service. Being able to give good quality care to people who would otherwise struggle to access it is exceptionally rewarding. Patient care includes on-site sexual health, drug, alcohol and medical services.
At the moment I dedicate three days a week to clinical time and two days to research but when my MRC Addiction Research Clinical Fellowship starts I’ll be able to dedicate more time to research. Working at a national specialist service at the Maudsley Hospital, I see patients with depression and bipolar disorder whose treatment hasn’t worked. Read more